Sunday 3 July 2016

TAKING A BREATH

Have you ever had that feeling of treading water but knowing that you can't keep it up and at some point you are just going to stop and go under the water?  That was me for the past year of my life.

Written down that seems so dramatic, but I promise you for the last year that is exactly how I have felt.  And then it all fell apart. 

I do not want to go into specifics but my life has changed irrevocably over the last three to four months despite at points not wanting it to, but I had to just accept the situation and walk away because I could not fix it by myself and most importantly I should not have had to.

That is the funny thing about such situations, I couldn't see how messed up and confusing it had all become until I got some space to just gain my breath.

Just taking a moment made me realise what I wanted, needed and deserved. 

Now whenever I feel overwhelmed I just take a moment and step back and ask myself a few questions:

(a) why am I feeling overwhelmed/anxious/upset?

(b) do I need to respond/take action?

Whatever the answer I just try and take some time to just breathe and relax for about ten minutes: doing some mindfulness.  This helps me clear my mind so I am ready to focus if I need to do something, and if I don't need to do anything it just helps me relax and control the emotion I am experiencing.

A lot of the time for me this really helps to just give me a little time and space to sort my thoughts before taking any immediate action that might not be the best course of action.  

It also helps me to acknowledge my feelings and emotions and that I am justified to feel that way.  This acceptance helps me move forward in a much more positive way rather than overthinking what has happened and all the possible meanings and outcomes.

This is beautifully summed up in a quote I came across which I tell myself in certain situations:

"When you can't control what's happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to what's happening.  That's where your power is!"

Lots of love 

L
xxx 
Dress :: Urban Outfitters (similar) // Shirt: BDG (similar) // Necklace :: Urban Outfitters // Shoes :: French Sole

No comments:

Post a Comment